Elephant Electrocuted in Garo Hills, Meghalaya

A female elephant was electrocuted inside Jadi elephant reserve in South Garo Hills on Monday, according to a delayed report. The incident took place when one of the elephants in a herd while passing through a jhum cultivation came in contact with an electric line resulting in the death, Kamal Medhi of Samrakshan Trust, an environment protection group, said. A similar incident of elephant electrocution took place in the adjoining area of Jadi in December last year.

Range Forest Officer of Balpakram National Park (BNP), C.G. Momin said an FIR has been filed at Nangalbibra police station against the sub-divisional officer of the Meghalaya Electricity Corporation Limited, Baghmara, for the negligence which caused the death of the elephant.

(Visited 49 times, 1 visits today)


Leave a Reply