January 27, 2013
February 17, 2013
Dandeli-Anshi, BRT, Bhadra, Bandipura
Field Survey of large mammals and training program on their population monitoring methods
Wildlife Conservation Society-India Program and its partner Centre for Wildlife Studies are conducting field training camps for monitoring large mammal populations for the field season 2013. These field workshops will be held at several reserves in Karnataka including Dandeli-Anshi, BRT, Bhadra, Bandipura and Nagarahole. Some of the methods taught will include:
- Estimation of large herbivore populations
- Relative abundance estimation of large carnivores using scat encounter rates
- Demo of camera-trap studies to survey and estimate large carnivore populations
Currently, registrations are open for volunteering in Transect Surveys at BRT. Schedules for other sites will be notified soon.
Aspiring volunteers should specifically note the guidelines below before applying:
- Volunteer must be physically fit, highly motivated and should have a keen interest in participating in field surveys.
- They must have completed 18 years of age.
- Simple vegetarian food and rudimentary field accommodation will be provided to the camp participants. Travel expenses to and from the training locations will have to be borne by the participants.
- Very strict camp discipline has to be observed. Please come prepared with appropriate field clothing (grey, khaki, green, and camouflage; not white, red or bright coloured clothes) and tough walking shoes.
- It is very important to bring a wrist watch and a pair of binoculars.
- There is no need to bring any bedding, though a sleeping bag may be useful.
- The candidates must report on the assigned dates, and must spend a minimum of seven days thereafter.
- No volunteers should arrive at the camp site without getting a written confirmatory email from us.
We maintain a database of all transect participants. And, if you have NOT filled-out the online form earlier or if there is any change in your contact details please use the link below:
If you have already registered with us and there is no change in your contact details, then, please write an email to WCS-India indicating only the dates when you wish to participate in our surveys.
Survey batches of seven days are from a Sunday to the next Sunday, and reporting/relieving time on start and end dates will be 12:00 hrs.
Transect Survey schedule at BRT Tiger Reserve:
- Batch 1: 27th January to 3rd February 2013 (This batch is already full)
- Batch 2: 3rd February to 10th February 2013
- Batch 3: 10th February to 17th February 2013
- Batch 4: 17th February to 24th February 2013